View Single Post
Old 2007-12-01, 20:23   Link #11
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

The e2140 rocks in the budget sector mainly because of its tweakabiility. The E4300 is probably the best buy in the midrange Intel, followed by the e6750 in the high end. Quads are ok but really IMO are a waste at the moment and at least the next year or so. The software just isn't there to take full advantage of it only now are we seeing software utilising dualcore.

For AMD once you go past the x2 4800 processor, I'd be strongly recommending Intel. As much as I like my processor it's only worth it because it overclocks like crazy

My thoughts on this are if you are primarily gaming, spend less on the cpu and more on the videocard. Most recent games are more dependent on the gfx card than the CPU. (an 8800gt paired with a e2140 will perform better in almost all games than a e6750 with a 8600gts). If you are doing video/photo editing mainly spend more on the CPU than video card. I was always taught for a gaming rig to spend a 2:1 ratio (I have black edition x2 5000 $140USD and an ati 2900xt $300USD on my gaming rig). For your purposes a 8600gts (130USD) or its cheapo brother the 8600gt(100USD) looks like a good buy. Also worth considering is the 7600gs (80USD) but for $20 more the performance of the 8600gt looks like the better buy

You can get really technical with ram, there's dual channel which gives a little more performance (dual implying two sticks of ram same size and same speed). 2x1 gb is fine. You can go with a 1x2gig + 1x1gig or whatever combination you feel like but at the end of the day it's the law of diminishing returns. past the 2-3gig mark on 32bit o/s the performance gain isn't worth the expense.

Keep in mind that your video card also has RAM and that also plays into the total calculation AFAIK as well.

I find the anti static wrist straps to be annoying. The cable gets in the way when you're doing the assembly. The Zap you get is the process of discharging your self. Hence the zap.

Personally you may get a bit better price over Xmas, but personally I'd just pull the trigger now. The prices aren't going to be much cheaper (if any) as Intel and Nvidia and AMD and ATI have just released their latest and best stuff over the last month or so. Particularly if Newegg is offering rebates on a product. Their next product releases won't be until the end of the first 2008 quarter. In my experience its these times when prices drop. XMas is less of a factor as they're not like TV's and stuff where returns and other factors play a part in the price drop.

Also I hate to keep repeating myself but buy a decent powersupply with enough power. Just because it says 500w it doesn't mean it can supply 500w continuously. Most Antec, All Zalman, All OCZ, All Silverstone, Some Coolermaster and some FSP/Fortron models make good affordable powersupplies that meet or exceed their claimed specs. Don't bother with the cheap stuff. When a Psu craps itself it tends to take some other hardware with it. I learnt the hard way.

(PS I;ve never heard of a recent processor being incompatible with recent software, video cards and the like yes but CPU's every time I've seen it claimed it was debunked)

Whenever I order stuff I always budget a set amount for each component out of my total budget. I always order the most expensive things first usually Vid Card, CPU, Motherboard, powersupply. I can always cut back on things like the case, fans, DVD burners by using cheaper stuff.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-12-01 at 20:54.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote