View Single Post
Old 2008-04-11, 19:39   Link #227
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Just finished watching this again for the second time. It's still amazing and I don't think I'll see any anime better in quite some time. I've noticed so much more the second time watching it. The pacing is just so perfect and made me remember why I was hyped up about Clannad, but to my dismay they were very different -.-.
I find that I generally don't want to watch two anime that are too similar, eh?
Sometimes it's better to be a little different, then you can rewatch both of them whenever you want to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine View Post
Ohh well Kanon 2006 still remains as my favorite anime of all time. I just wish there would be an OVA or movie already...well actually skip the movie and just go for the OVA..I've never really liked their movies...
I don't think KyoAni has ever made a movie, have they?
Eh.

I doubt that an OVA is needed.
It would just seem like a blatant attempt to make more money off of the Kanon franchise.
The way the anime left it just open enough, not requiring an OVA except for maybe a bit more godly sakuga and comic relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Though they didn't put teh kiss ;_;.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I might be misunderstanding what you are getting at here, but there was a kiss scene between Yuuichi and Ayu. You couldn't have possibly missed that one
Ehh?
I'm pretty sure it was the kiss scene that redefined kiss scenes.
How sorry I am for whoever missed that scene...

Well, Kanon was one of the first anime that I saw, back in the day. Since then I've rewatched it, and it's been a favourite of mine this whole time.
I'll give it a mildly thorough rating based on my own system, seeing as I have no idea what "editing" entails, and have not played the original game.

Animation Quality: 10
As expected from KyoAni, is it not?
Character designs were reminiscent of Air's (obviously), and I had gotten used to and grown fond of them by the time I watched Kanon. Scenery, skies, eyes, the taiyaki, almost every single piece of the animation was stunning. Easy 10.

Voice Actors: 9
Here's where it gets subjective and difficult to judge. As a fan of Yui Horie, Yukari Tamura, and Tomokazu Sugita, the voice acting was great, in my opinion. My sole qualm is that Yukari Tamura was playing the silent Mai in both adaptations as opposed to her usual, more energetic characters.

Script: 9
The script was simply excellent. It handled dramatic moments amazingly, and the comic relief between arc climaxes was humourous and always entertaining. However, it had not explained some of the fantasy elements of the story (Ayu's dream-ish appearance) as well as it could have. Another problem I found with Kyoto's two earlier Key adaptations is that the characters seemed to simply disappear following the end of their arc. This was changed in Clannad, though only somewhat for our starfish girl.

Music: 8
For some reason, I did not find Kanon's OST and BGM to be as amazing as I've hear many others tell me. Of course, I recently rewatched ef ~ a tale of memories, and am currently listening to its BGM, so comparison may be a bit difficult. The music did very well when it needed to though, Mai's Shoujo no Ori BGM song created the perfect climactic scene near the end of her arc, and several of the other songs were great as well. The OP was slow and soft, but it was one of my favourites for a while after seeing Kanon. The ED theme didn't quite "get me" as much, but its quicker, lighthearted beat was catchy, and it did well to create a mood for the ending of an episode.

Emotional Involvement: 9
Kanon was one of the most emotionally involving anime that I have seen, each character's arc left me feeling something deep for that character, whether it be empathy, sympathy, or sadness. However, Ayu's arc was one that didn't quite touch me as the others had. It felt a bit rushed in the clearing, though it was a well-written.

Overall: 9/10.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote