Thread: Feedback Tag Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-27, 10:21   Link #71
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I would first say that we need to understand the reason why the Suggestions forum seems so popular, well maybe not "popular" but active, and why people post here in the first place.

I would suggest that the reason is that in most cases (not all, but I'm sure it the majority) the thread creator doesn't know what they are looking for and often doesn't actually know the question they want to ask. They may not be familiar with the huge range of the different anime series available and it can be a daunting task trying to sort the wheat form the chaff, an easier solution is to simply ask the advice of others.

Very often it's a case of "I've seen this, this and that, please recommend me similar series". It's rather difficult to pin down in a few words what it was about one particular series that struck a cord, it might well be a genre, it might be an emotion the series triggered, it might be so many things. Reading a number of the threads here I would say that very often the poster doesn't even know themselves what it is they are after.

So what has this got to do with tags? My point is that it's rather meaningless to associate tags with such threads in this sub-forum because the person who asks the question may not even notice the tags or may not really care as such, what they want is a number of recommendations of actual specific series.

In most cases, the poster could have searched sites such as ANN, AniDB or better yet use Anime-Planet for anime recommendations. The poster could have searched these forums and our genre list but such is life, it's easier to ask and let someone else do the work for you. In many ways there is nothing wrong with this, there are thousands and thousands of anime series out there and it's not easy to get familiar with so many of them.

What I'm getting at is that if these posters are not going to search for themselves beforehand, why do you expect them to search using tags afterwards? Tags in the most part are going to be added by those responding (or at least that is what you are primarily recommending it seems) and the point I'm making, such tags are only going to clutter up searches with oodles of slightly off-topic suggestions threads.

But again tags are primarily a search tool. Does it matter if the search tool returns chat as well as the wheat? Who is it that decides what is chat an the wheat anyway? Personally I still am unsure of tags but so far it seems clear that different people will find different uses for them and will use them in different ways. All well and good. What I want to say with my initial comment was that please don't be in a rush to start tagging everything left, right and centre. Removing tags (at this point in time) appears to be a real pain (be it the user or a Moderator), it's time consuming and boring to do. We (AnimeSuki) are still trying to decide what path we should take over the feature and I hope that posters such as you (SeijiSensei) and others help us define the path. There is no immediate rush to tag everything, we are still trying to see how it can be best used here in these forums.

I also wonder if tags such as "inspirational", "maturation", "production values", "scenery", "emotional_attachment", etc., etc. are ever going to be used in a search before or after they are added anyway. While I don't have a say how you wish to spend your time I would prefer your help and effort be channelled in alternative ways in helping AnimeSuki define and implement tags and decide what direction we should go in. After this, we can go crazy tagging the world.

So by all means continue to tags if you wish
xris is offline   Reply With Quote