View Single Post
Old 2008-07-26, 07:51   Link #1074
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Understanding the values of the religion is one thing, but understanding how a religion can be twisted for such horrible acts is something that many people fail to see. Unfortunately that's clearly obvious given modern world events. The Christian Crusades may be hundreds of years old by now, but today we're witnessing the Islamic Jihad. In both cases, the actions that are occurring were not sanctioned by the religion itself.
@Ledgem-
Conflict for the sake of religion, or conflict using religion as a front for belligerence, has been going on for thousands of years. I would argue against your definition of "Christian Crusade" or "Islamic Jihad". How are these terms defined? Why are we witnessing an "Islamic Jihad" today? I'm not attempting to provoke anything here. But I would just like to point out that, to a Muslim, political rhetoric against a nation that practices Shari'a Law has been long interpreted as "Christian Crusade". The converse is also true.

Terms - and therefore the decisions to wage spiritual warfare (I will make a note here that I dislike that term) is possibly the consequence of misinterpretation of a religion's tenets & laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As far as ... perhaps a rereading of the battles and events in the Old Testament where such events are recounted is in order?
@Vexx-
Firstly, to what degree do such battles represent spiritual warfare or political conflict?

Second, how many of these battles are legitimately considered "spiritual warfare" & can be rightfully interpreted as mindless slaughter?

If I'm not wrong (but I would appreciate if a student of the Old Testament can either correct or support me), the reason the ancient Israelites fought wars with the people surrounding Canaan was, yes, divinely ordered. But the purpose being to rid Canaan of a culture of pagan worship so unwholesome & unhealthy that it ran counter to laws of society given by God to the Israelites.
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote