Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-28, 08:45   Link #641
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
See, this is what I have a beef with, and I agree with Ledgem's questioning of your assertion about being proud of your nation (if I understood his implication right).
Solomon made the statement that national pride is important. I wanted to know why. To be honest, I wasn't satisfied with the discussion that followed. It explained how people from different regions will be proud of different things. There was also a shift that examined pride in ethnic heritage. All good and well, but my question is largely unanswered: why is national pride important? What purpose does it serve, and do its benefits outweigh its negatives?

I don't ask it to derail this thread or even to stir up discussion. My personal view is that national pride is detrimental, yet statements like "national pride is important" or "you should be proud of your nation" are incredibly common. I ask why because nobody else does, and I think it's something that is important to consider. We aren't honeybees chained to a hive, here. We're all small parts of something greater, all roughly working together to build, maintain, and advance that something greater. Why is pride in one hive important?