View Single Post
Old 2008-09-01, 19:30   Link #67
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Always? When did I say "always"? When did I ever even advise a course of action? I just posed a question about related issue that hadn't been addressed.

If your answer is "I'd just kill the thief" or "I'd just give him to the police anyway, and hope that after his prison term, he won't have the motivation to come asking for more", good for you. I won't say you're wrong.

You want to flesh out the case with more assumptions? Go ahead. What did the victim see on TV, that'd influence the situation? You talked about the weapons they - the burglar and the home owner - have. Explain to me how they're relevant, beyond "The home owner needs one to make the burglar back off." (or heck, maybe he just kicks his ass with his bare hands. What does it change?) and "If the burglar had one during the robbery, he may well be violent."

And yes, I'm talking about threats, which by their nature deal with the future, and something that the law can't deal with. That's the point: the law can't protect you there. Not unless it's changed so the death penalty (or life without parole) to be applied to everyone from pickpockets on up. What do you do?
Were such a law passed that applied capital punishment to non-murder crimes, a state would have to execute almost all of its population, because most people have done something that isn't exactly legal at some point in their lifetime. That's of course assuming the law would even pass in the first place.

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote