View Single Post
Old 2009-04-22, 10:19   Link #68
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And really, its not the amount of pirating that goes on with the system that matters, but the percentage of those console owners who actually pirates their games for the system. Popular systems with popular games will always get pirated more than the unpopular ones, after all.

For example, say system A has a 10 mil worldwide user base, and around 2 mil pirates their games. Now system B has a 2 mil worlwide user base, but 1.5 mil pirates their games. Who do you think is better off?
Doesn't this just reinforce the idea that it's not pirating that's hurting PSP, but rather the fact that PSP isn't selling that's the problem? You'd think that if a system screams "buy me and all games come free", then it would actually not suck in the sales department.

Here's an example. In mainland China(excluding Taiwan/HK), PSP outsells NDS. Usually the seller immediately hack the system with CFW for the buyer upon transaction. And pretty much no one actually buys games. Now this makes sense. After all, pirating should help generate console sales. Who doesn't like free games? Especially in a culture that has no moral dilemma with regards to piracy.

Of course, in the defense of Chinese gamers, this is due to lack of affordability(a $40 PSP game is the equivalent of 1-2 weeks of salary for regular adults).

That's why I'm very leery of the idea that PSP piracy kills the US market. Because the console sales are just way too abysmal for me to believe that. I'm mostly just annoyed at how badly Sony marketed and supported the console. Allowing DS to dominate the market. Because I truly love the system itself, which I feel is just amazing. Now if only there were more games for it...
meh is offline   Reply With Quote