View Single Post
Old 2009-07-13, 06:16   Link #82
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Okay, I've been lurking here for a while, but you've made me feel compelled to post. Congratulations. Personally, I find it frustrating that so many fans are confused by the homework thing. I've been correcting people on 4chan for weeks about it. It's simple.

The reason why Kyon's study group breaks the timeloop is simple: It shifts Haruhi's mindset from vacation mode to the schoolyear.

Because Haruhi already did her homework, she spends her August 31st feeling unfullfilled over her summer break, and desires more. Kyon's study group has her spend her 31st with her friends in a last-minute cram party she's never taken part of before, and it also reminds her that she has more learning to do during the schoolyear.

Kyon simply doing his homework won't break the loop. He needs to have Haruhi there to break her out of the summer vacation mindset, and shift her paradigm back into school-mode.

/rant.
I heard it floating around somewhere, but I prefered the other speculation - that Haruhi wants to feel needed by Kyon.

It's more... well, you know.

(The Mortality of Haruhi Suzumiya sounds fascinating, actually.)