View Single Post
Old 2009-07-16, 18:04   Link #6
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I semi-followed this as the list was coming out, tuning into the radio in the hours they were releasing it when I got the opportunity. As a massive Radiohead fan, I was getting a little worried when they got to about 30 and still hadn't played any Radiohead songs, but I still made the call to my skeptical friend that there'd be a slew of Radiohead songs in the top 30. Fortunately I was right. I thought "Paranoid Android" might go at #2, but #5 is still pretty good.

I called "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for #1. IIRC, it got #1 in the countdown ten years ago, and I don't think there's been quite an iconic alternative song since.

There's been a bit of controversy about the list in the Australian media because there are no female artists on it. There's a couple of female guest vocalists, I think, but none of the bands have "permanent" female members, and there are no female solo artists, like Bjork, who was seen as a possibility.

@Bolton: Prince isn't really popular among Triple J's demographic. In fact, there were some who were a little surprised of Michael Jackson's prominence on the list, suggesting that the fact that the voting coincided with his death helped his performance on the list. Although "Thriller" and "Billy Jean" probably do deserve to be there, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote