View Single Post
Old 2009-11-05, 02:28   Link #2905
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Speaking of X, Y and Z....did we get all those rules? I was under the impression one was still unknown...at least to Bern.
Judging from Bern's letter, she doesn't actually know what any of them are, but she has vague ideas about them.

Rule X:
  • Lambda said Bern will “absolutely” not be able to win
  • Like the story that always starts on June 20th (that is, two days before the Hinamizawa Disaster, after all of the preparations have been made and there is no room to maneuver anymore)
Rule Y:
  • Some sort of new magic source that Beatrice devised, which is the foundation of her existence as a witch
  • Makes Beatrice completely unique, to the point that Bern and Lambda couldn’t even be called witches in comparison
Rule Z:
  • Some kind of maze-like existence that eliminates Bern’s ability to explore cause and effect on the board, and obscures the details of Rules X and Y
  • Bern speculates that trying to build a map of this board would be completely useless, but has no idea why

I haven't seen anybody offer a suggestion about Rule X yet. Rule Y seems like it could be the Schrodinger's Cat Box effect that lets Beato show things that no one observed, or that a group of people agreed to lie about.

Rule Z seems to be filling the same obscuring role in Umineko as it did in Higurashi. If we look for something fitting the theme of "two things are assumed to be linked that are actually unrelated", I've been thinking that it might have to do with the magic circles and the first twilight locked rooms, and more generally the weirdness in Episode 4. That is, a bunch of highly variable events are taking place that we're ascribing to the culprit's actions, but they're actually occurring for some other reason and the culprit is capitalizing on them.

EDIT:
@chronotrig: You said you had a theory involving gold text that explains all of the rules... Do you have a link to the post where you described that?
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote