View Single Post
Old 2009-12-24, 19:45   Link #511
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Come to my realization, Windows 7 is not any more different from Vista and it's not better than sliced bread... it's just a patch job to fix some of the problems, add a new ribbon interface to Paint and Wordpad, remove a lot of features with crippled versions you need to install separately and a Superbar, which looks too much like the Mac OS X dock and KDE4 while slapping a expensive price tag on it.

Windows 7 shouldn't be priced so high since the changes are so minor. It's more like a Windows Vista SP2 than a separate OS since it basicly use the same kernel and versioned 6.1. XP Mode is pretty much useless for anything but old programs that don't use 3D or that much computing power, since the virtualization technology used in XP-Mode doesn't support 3D in the first place.

The programs that stopped working is... Eternal Fighter Zero... well yeah, I think it worked in Vista, but not in 7... WTH? Also, older Anti-virus programs don't work on 7, obviously and I had to update Macdrive 7 to 8 since 7 doesn't work in 7. People say Windows 7 is better than anything else, but end of the day, it's still Windows since it still contains the outdated and flawed Registry. I see that Unix and Linux based OSes being the future in computing than Windows... just look at Windows Mobile, it's a complete failure. Unless Microsoft gets rid of the Registry, I don't see Windows as a viable OS anymore. And yes, I have been using Windows 7 for several months just for games and I don't find anything special about it.
Since I do hardware work I can tell you the changes are not minor.

Even the code level work is different especially for the driver foundation.

In engineering we learn that just because something workes doesn't make it proper.

I have to deal with alot of "because it worked before" electrical installations in my job and often say to the client, if your house burns down because of this shoddy wiring you wouldn't say that anymore.

So many homes have shoddy wiring. Electricians get away with it because people don't see the innards.

They flip a switch and the lights come on... and they are happy.

Meanwhile, when I find that your neutral bar is glowing red hot in your circuit breaker panel you end up amazed.

Or if I do not catch it in time your apartment is burnt down... because your toaster burnt your wires, the breaker didn't tip and your smoke detectector batteries are older than moses.

Once again, bad programs will be exposed in Windows 7.

Just like the bad wiring in so many homes.

That is simply the truth.

Even the devs at Valve admit this to me.

As for gaming, I use 7 beyond that ... and it simply is well thought out.

I do alot of spreadsheet work along with technical documentation and research... electrical simulations etc.

Windows 7 is way better than XP and Vista.

It is a researcher platform like no other.

Particularly the search and indexing features.

Vistas search function were several seconds slower... laggy and buggy.

XP had nothing like it... infact most people turn off search indexing on XP.

Restore points work perfectly on Windows 7 but never on on XP or Vista (always a problem with vista )

Memory management finally works almost like Linux on Windows 7 and that is good stuff... the list is too big bother.

I have learned over the years that people evaluate and do things using past experiences.

One tech I know turned off swap file (pagefile) on his Windows 7 box... I asked him why he said to make it faster.

I then asked him what was his proof... he confidently said "Experience wit XP"

He pointed out (press ctrl+shit+esc) that Windows 7 hogs his memory also and didn't leave anything free (he has 4 gigs of ram)

That is how it supposed to work dummy... it is supposed to hog your ram.

I had to show him my Linux box doing same thing ... Proper memory management means caching some of the stuff your use regulalry into memory... and off loading it into "swap space" or pafge file when it is not needed. If your turn off paging file you have no where for the cache to go to and it stays in moemoryor gets dev/nulled.

thus your system has to load everythign all over again.... waste of time.

Game players need to look into using ready boost thumb drives and really notice that Windows 7 will perform way better on games with a drive set to readyboost.... and the more you play the better it gets.

You do not need to turn of pagefile in windows... I had to tell him that and prove it... all because he had the XP experience in his mind. He assumed that microsoft never bothered to create a proper memory manager.

The guy I told to use readyboost for a week called me up all excited... "I get 30 more minutes on battery, I get half an hour more !"

duh !

Last edited by Zetsubo; 2009-12-24 at 20:10.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote