View Single Post
Old 2010-03-27, 18:28   Link #7187
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Whether or not the meta-world exists has no effect on the murders, so I've never bothered to deny it; in fact, I accept it. As Ryuukishi said, Umineko is not a conventional mystery. Currently, I see this as meaning it's a mystery within a fantasy story. The mystery of Rokkenjima itself is an amazing puzzle, but currently you must have at least a meta-world standing to solve it. And if Umineko is a fantasy story, than the meta-world can exist.
I'm not saying the solution to the mystery requires a fantasy explanation, the explanation will only use clues provided in the episodes and human logic. It's just currently impossible to solve Umineko without access to the meta-world.
Yes, for Meta-Battler. For Ange and the other characters in 1998, however, Hachijou's novels exist, and for us, the readers, we have, well, the story itself.

You don't NEED to be in the Meta-World to solve Umineko. You and I certainly aren't.

I think people are reading too much into Ryukishi's "this isn't a conventional mystery" declaration... I think he's just talking about the fake scenes and the meta-narrative rather than the existence of magic. One thing chronotrig is definitely correct about is the idea of magic being a pleasant false alternative to the real events, since that's the way it's been presented in the story for quite some time now.

Spoiler for examples of magic = happy lies:

See what I mean? Magic is a lie. It isn't real. It doesn't exist. It's the happy ending.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-03-27 at 18:52.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote