View Single Post
Old 2010-04-12, 00:59   Link #22
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Great episode, some major league animation ups, but still a couple of minor problems. Foremost was the horrible usage of the OP as an insert song. Any of the previous OPs would have been better than this one, and several of the EDs. It's just too mellow. wonder if they had to use it as an insert due to contractual reasons...

Also have an issue with Lion King's reentry to the story. They can show Kimblee with his throat in LK's jaws and blood spewing out, they can show him lying on the ground, gurgling blood and choking his last bits of life away as Pride mocks him (10/10 on the gruesome audio on that part, BTW), but instead of actually showing Heinkel as he is biting him, they show what amounts to a "bloody" red screen flash? You can't tell me that's a violence-avoidance thing after the aforementioned gory scenes following it... They could have at least had a shot of Heinkel looming over him/charging up on him, jaws wide, as he goes in for the kill... I can guarantee you if they'd had a shot of Kimblee mid-turn, with Heinkel coming up from behind (per the camera angle), teeth just showing on either side of Kimblee's throat as he's about to clamp down, that would be my avatar right now, spoiler or not. Seriously missed opportunity.

As for "small fry" Heinkel taking out Kimblee, I've got no problem with that. One of the things about war is anybody can kill anybody. You can take out 47 hardened enemy elites with a spork, but if that one fresh-outta-boot-camp buck private gets a lucky shot, you're toast. And I think Heinkel proved last week that as "minor" as he may be, he's more than worthy enough to take advantage of a perfectly-planned 3-on-2 when the enemy is expecting 1-on-2...

Also, looks like we can look forward to a new version of Lapis Philosophorum (violin/piano only?) on the next OST (played during Al and Kimblee's conversation).

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-04-12 at 01:13.