View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 12:41   Link #26
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Omnibus is best - hands down. If they had done that for the Fate/stay night anime, it would be been so much better.
That has nothing with the omnibus stuff etc: F/SN has more like 3 specific storyline with each of them a different love interest.
There is no way to actually merge the 3 routes for this peculiar VN, because the "triggers" of the main story are drastically different. That has nothing to do with character route, whereas heroines have their personal issues which aren't always mutually exclusive.

This is also why we never say "Saber's route / Rin's Route / Sakura's route" even if we consider as such because of the romance. If you remove that part, they are way too different hence the route name, not the heroine's.

Quote:
But I think one reason they don't is because they want people to go out and buy the VN, especially if it's a PS2 port of an eroge, lol.
That is irrelevant. The first and foremost objective is to sell DVD and blu ray, and an adaptation is mainly a bait for people who had played the game.

I personally dislike the omnibus format to the very core when it is about romance driven series, as its advantages are basically a mere method to please "shippers" as a whole.
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I always think there is always a way to give a character its lion share of lime light and development through their route, and not always with the "crowning" pairing with the main character.
In fact, having a specific pairing or another just doesn't change a character as a whole (although I will give you that it also gives the opportunity to see that character under a different light), so it isn't like a character is not "complete" without their love interest fulfilled.

The first aftermath of such method is of course an obnoxious pace for the development as a whole, be it every characters themselves and when the pairing is kicking off.
Furthermore, it just makes me think I'm watching multiple spin off of the same universe with little to no cohesion or blended story telling as result.
It makes the storytelling much more convulated and doesn't give an integrity for the franchise itself.

Of course, there are exceptions that require a different approach, but this is because the original plot cannot allow any kind of unified storytelling to begin with.
And for these, they aren't romance driven one bit, although they certainly may have a certain chunk of that.