View Single Post
Old 2011-01-16, 02:59   Link #1047
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef View Post
They also say "schneiden" (to cut) a lot.
That explains all the scissors!

I appreciate how this series is able to build so much tension through the seemingly vibrant, benign school life scenes with the profound conversations they're having over the dilemma of being a magical girl (to put your life at risk for the sake of a wish) - it demonstrates how slowly but surely the strange darkness behind the Magical Girl world is invading the girls' everyday lives.

I suspect that as this anime progresses, there'll be a lot less of those vibrant scenes. The world around these girls will gradually degenerate into the dark and abstract worlds from the witch/magical girl encounters.

That is what I feel sets this anime apart from other magical girl anime - it isn't necessarily about good vs. evil. Yes, there is the superficial magical girl vs. witches concept being set up, but they didn't necessarily explain how these witches come into being and how exactly the system of witch hunting works.

The way they're making it sound, it's almost as if witch hunting is zero-win: By hunting more witches you're taking away more opportunities for other magical girls from having their wish granted. I feel the whole wish system is what corrupts the whole magical girl vs. witches thing as being a straight-up good vs. evil thing.

There's a lot of potential in this. I hope they deliver in future episodes, because I'm pretty hooked right now, if this whole post hasn't revealed it yet.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote