View Single Post
Old 2011-03-13, 12:23   Link #61
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiikamayo View Post
I was wondering, is there any official information detailing what Shift each character's IS first appears in? I originally assumed that outside of Ichika, all the characters (sans instructors) started off by default on the 1st Shift, but never really found any information to support this, especially in the case of Charlotte and Laura.

Charlotte's personal IS seems to be completely explainable by mechanical modification at preset to a normal Raphael Revive (eg. Armor plate sacrificed for speed, preset equipment sacrificed for Equalizer slots, etc) so it's uncertain if she's even gone through the 1st shift (Skill and shift are not necessary an issue of causation as displayed by Miya). Laura also seems like she might be experienced enough to have hit the 2nd Shift already unless there was a story related reason holding her back (From the looks of it, there probably is).

Also, how is it that Fold-Out armor is an improvement over Equalizers? It seems like equipment that transforms would be slower and less flexible than equipment that can be instantly called up by an experienced pilot. Equalizers also have the advantage of unpredictability, as the setup can be changed in between battles and more suitable to group battles as equipment and support services can be exchanged (Charlotte to Ichika in Episode 8). Also, Equalizers are theoretically replaceable if damaged in mid combat (ie. weapons, physical shields, thrusters, etc) whereas I'm assuming Fold-Out armor being a permanent piece of an IS is not and is vulnerable to getting stuck in transformation if damaged a certain way. Basically, outside of having a slot limit, has a specific limitation been set to Equalizers that makes Fold-Out armor superior (ie. Equalizers can't use 3rd Gen tech)?
1st. equalizers must be pre-installed before battle and it may take alot of time to go through the quantum conversion process.

2nd. Since I dont read the lightnovel but it is assumed that with fold out armor, your IS can change from high mobility-configuration to high defense or high damage output at any time in battle by changing the shape of the frame while with equalizer you are locked with the set up you choose.

to put it simple: Fold out armor is like playing poker with five jokers on your hand, it could be anything the player want them to be