View Single Post
Old 2011-09-17, 13:25   Link #28
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I've been using the Lachs0r builds in my testing too. Decided to give it another try (using the same August 31 build), and oddly the performance is much, much better than remember it being - it is indeed faster than even overlay mixer CCCP.

CPU usage is consistantly lower and while my notebook (Lenovo Thinkpad X120e, AMD Fusion E-350 APU, 2GB DDR3, Windows 7 HP) does still drop frames and lose audio during the opening sequences of the 720P, Hi10P bluray rips I test with, they're now split second occurances. In CCCP, I wouldn't get dropped frames or audio but the video would lag for several seconds, which is probably more annoying.

Since this is 720P (albeit at some higher than average bit rates) we're talking about and the softsub effects we'ren't super intense, I'd tend to advise anime fans to get something more powerful than an E-350 APU. Which is a shame since I've been otherwise floored by how good the X120e is, especially for a $400 computer. But at least it appears a lot of stuff will be watchable.

The one thing that does bug me about Mplayer (aside from some issues with loading external audio files, which I rarely do) so far is how inaccurate the seek
function is... when I move the seek slider, the player will say "jump to xx:xx"... and then when I actually do it, I'll end up a minute away from the stated time. Somewhat annoying.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.