Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-24, 06:37   Link #16785
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Now it is not that easy Vexx (if we are talking about western solar manufacturers in general). There is no doubt that the western solar cell makers cannot compete with the chinese in price per Watt. The chinese' lower environment safety standards and lower wages contribute to this among other things.
However, the western producers tried to engage the chinese lower price tactic with giving guarantees of 10 or more years for the solar modules not to fail/considerably drop in performance... basically a quality assurance (that costs a premium).
Now, the chinese manufacturers offer those guarantees too. And you can only speculate what happens if you really have a malfunctioning module. I personally doubt that you get it replaced under guarantee (even if you have your case proven in a lab... which costs as much as a new module minimum).
Now, the western producers cannot disregard their liabilities so easily, because they do not produce in a country with such a weak protection of consumers.

Anyway, the western producers lost another competitive advantage, because most consumers do not really care about long term reliability or fact checking claims of such reliability/guarantees (they just see it as a given), so the only important thing remaining is the price of the product. And that is where you cannot beat the chinese solar modules.
For the first time in my life, I think America needs a more Jingoistic attitude.

They should be drumming up the "We have to beat China!" thing more. Right now it's an afterthought.

Whatever happened to that competitive spirit we saw in the cold war?