Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll iDOLM@STER the anime (and spin-offs)
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 18:06   Link #1836
Echoes

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said. I smiled, I was moved, I shed tears.

I would agree with those who have brought up that this episode spotlighted not just Chihaya, but also Haruka. The two of them made a wonderful pair, and I do mean that in the most platonic sense possible. The show deserves a great deal of credit for handling this episode so well. With a subject like this (the power of love and friendship conquering depression and sadness) there is always the danger of seeming cliche, or just coming off as trying to tug at your heartstrings with cheap ploys. This episode did neither, and the way it culminated in the wonderful scene on stage (again, something that easily could have come off as incredibly mushy and corny) was simply sublime.

As a long-time fan of Asami Imai, I am especially happy to see her wonderful singing voice put to such great use. She was the crown jewel, and when she began to sing with her powerful voice, the heavens trembled. She's a fantastic singer, and I encourage everyone who enjoyed her performance to seek out more of her work. (Personally, I would recommend the work she's done for the Blazblue game, "Shinsou" and "Condemnation Wings ~Cry Camellia.") Neither are similar to her performance this episode, but they are both great example of how powerful and evocative her voice can be.