View Single Post
Old 2012-01-12, 10:42   Link #354
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
I haven't played the PS3 remake, nor will I ever since I have zero knowledge on Japanese, but I actually assumed it would be lacking in comparison to the PC. Remakes rarely manage to capture the palm of the original, and let's face it, the PS3 version is all about the shiny effects and being candy to the eyes.
The problem is the very purpose of the games itself: the "eye candy" aspect doesn't work at all.
They did a very good job in keeping every tracks from the original games, and altering nothing from the script (or almost?).

However, the shiny effects are... nowhere close to what you can expect from a PS3, or even a standard PC VN/galge.
The problem is quite evident with an HD screen: the design in general is too "sharp", without being crisp, therefore, it looks a little rough, especially few backgrounds etc. There is actually little work on lightning and shadows (be it as effects or CG themselves), so the general aspect is rather dull with little ambiant effect.
the special effects are not too bad, especially the rapid slicing effects and the "beam impact", but I must say the "deep slash" effects are annoying as hell because they are -SLOW- and unskippable. Because of that, some full force fast strikes look extremely slow with the narration (Erika and Dlanor in ep8 are big victims of that).

But my main gripe is how the voice acting is sort of weird at times. To be honest, aside of Battler VA, Ono Daisuke, the other male characters are not convincing in their angry or sorrowful fits, especially Krauss in ep7 (when he is furious against Eva for "you know why").
And no matter how much of a Yukarin fanboy I'm, her performance was weirdly directed, especially Bern expressing "shock and panic" more than what you can actually expect from her.

Really, I will probably make several playthroughs with the 2 games, but honestly, I really can't consider these 2 ports as "successful".