View Single Post
Old 2012-04-28, 20:29   Link #105
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
What do you think of the costs of subscriptions, DLC, expansions, and other expenses of playing modern video games? Comments are open to any and all costs of being a gamer: console, pc, mmo, etc.

Here's some topics to get people started:

1. Are MMO subscription fees outdated?
2. Is it fair to charge beyond the initial purchase to unlock content already on the disk?
3. Is it fair to pay full retail cost for a digital copy of a game?
4. Are virtual console titles (like old NES games) over priced?
5. Should virtual content be locked to account instead of device?

Note that you don't have to answer all of these at once. They're just ideas to get people talking. Feel free to bring up other stuff as long as it's related to the topic.
1) Don't even bother with pay to play
2) Not unless it's a MASSIVE amount of content like enough for an expansion. If they want to add tid bits, it should be free.
3) Nope. They don't give you physical product. If you want one, you have to provide your own disc. Hell, you have to use your own internet connection to get the product as well, and that costs money for some people per gigabit. Fortunately they offer discounts a plenty on platforms like Steam.
4) I suppose it depends on if you consider there to be minimum price for them, but I'd say yes, since you don't get a physical copy either.
5) Yes (isn't this the current norm?)

I feel I should mention that I think there are worthwhile advantages that digital distribution offers (if your disc is f'd, you can still get a copy without paying for it again, connection pending). But I don't know if they necessarily outweigh my dislikes of it (I'm the guy that still prefers books over e-books).