View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 07:34   Link #14
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
There are a few anomalies though:

2. Why did Asian Dramas take off while european television and film is obscure by comparison? Likewise, asian pop music dominates Europop in the online space.
I'd guess Asian dramas benefited from the anime fan-sub infrastructure. I'm fairly sure that people abroad who are interested in say German, Italian, French or Spanish drama tend to be familiar with the language already and will just watch the original content.

Also Euro-pop is fairly irrelevant compared to the European dance and trance scene. The latter do have a strong global online presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
3. Why is there so little scanlating of French BDs, when manga scanlating is so popular? French comics contain many of the factors that make manga popular, why are they so unpopular, at least online? Is it down to more comprehensive copyright enforcement?
I think anime on TV had a lot to do with making manga popular in English speaking markets. There is no equivalent French animation industry to do the same for BD. BD are popular amongst American comic artists and a small part of the comic fans (probably due to Heavy Metal magazine) but not in the mainstream. I've seen some manga scan-lators branch out a bit, maybe it is only a matter of time.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote