View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 12:34   Link #47
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Sherlock Holmes basically redefined and established a genre, the detective story. Plus, it helped in that it was a great inspiration for forensic science in literature, never mind it did popularized what we now believe are the basics of forensic science.

I'm not sure what Rowling has done for her genre.

It's also held back by being too much of a niche market.
^
Re: Rowling -- I think she'll have a place in history. My rationale? Some may dislike the comparison, but she reminds me of Tolkein. Her vivid imagination has created a vast "world" and "system" that has resonated with a large number of people. It doesn't hurt that her writing is actually good too. I first read Tolkein when I was .. 9/10 years old? Even picking up to this day .. I'm not sure I'd say his writing was the best, but I don't think anyone would argue about his amazing imagination/creativity and that he's the father of the medieval fantasy genre..

Re: Sherlock Holmes / ACD -- If we say that .. my thought naturally goes to fiction by Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum. Would we category these as thrillers/suspense/mysteries and move on or do they have their own categories? They've pretty much defined the modern military/spy thriller.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote