View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 12:36   Link #155
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Not sure about the Otaku part, but I see harem series as a break from reality. Reading manga, light novels, and anime eases my stress. Well enough about that.

When it comes to Harem main characters, there are many genres in them. I named out three, here some more.

There are rational harem protagonist that knows that he attracted many girls, but doesn't pursue due to rational or normality. One such example is Campione (not the anime, the light novel) the protagonist is approach by several girls. He tends to be dense at times, but what is stopping him is that he wants to be normal. The protagonist happens to be not a normal existence, he uses that as a justification for not the pursuing the girls to retain his normality he previously had. Also, he knows someone who happens to have a harem as well which is his grandfather and he refuses to be compared to him.

Then there is a harem protagonist that has justification for being dense and such. The series High School DXD has the protagonist as a pervert, but a great dude overall. He is dense due to trauma and fear, this constantly stops him from pursuing the girls fearing of being rejected and hated by them. This is hinted heavily, but never explored until later. The girls themselves inadvertently put the fear in him as well due to subtle actions that can be seen as nothing, but often reminding the protagonist of his past.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote