View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 03:37   Link #137
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Well...if the person who creates it does not have a high Crime Coefficient, would it not be 'allowed to exist'? Same with the music - it was 'allowed to exist', was it not?
About the bolded...err no, I'm not sure it exists that way. It seems like they run the work through Sybil that somehow scans the work in question. Not just the creator. Otherwise, why would Rina not have been picked up by the Bureau before she started her riots?

Quote:
I agree with the idea that trying to stick to the status quo is detrimental. But, to play devil's advocate, with regards to the Confucian ideal being 'nice and fine' only 'until you are one of those made to do so'...is that your point of view, the point of view of the majority, or the point of view of a minority?

And to turn the example on its head, change has often required people to lay down and die for society's sake (whether they do it by choice or not, and I would say that both occur): so perhaps the lack of desire to lay down and die for society's sake is one of the reasons no change has occurred?
First part: It certainly is mine. My own experiences with the culture here made me think that way. That's why I later asked if you had any similar experiences. As for it being a majority or minority view....well, if it were an overwhelmingly majority view that would be strange wouldn't it? Usually, the people disadvantaged by any system would not be in the majority no? But as to whether the gap between that majority and minority is wide...from what I observe, it's closer than one would guess, I suppose that's why the social situation across East Asia is rather volatile one. Also there is the simple fact that while one would agree with me in principle, it doesn't mean one would still agree with me in the context of outside social economic cultural etc presures too. When the situation changes, one's words and allegiances to something magically change too. Humans are just like that after all.

Second part:

Yea, that is indeed true....in the end, it's quite a warped world we live in eh? No matter how much one would wish otherwise. It's always the frying pan or the fire one way or another...simply just a question of which is more preferable.

Quote:
Which is, in effect, my point. At this juncture, what do we know of how the system was born? Why don't we seek that answer before trying to tell them how they should change?
That's actually quite easy. Psycho Pass world is a reflection of our current world. Neuroscience may well be capable of what Sybil is within half a century or so. Honestly speaking, one could rather care less about the society in Psycho Pass since they literally asked for this fate but being a reflection of our world, how could one not make a stand? That's always one of the big dilemmas we bio science people or indeed any other science person faces....how to prevent science from being misused....aww who am I kidding. More like how to limit the damage from science being misued. The world of Psycho Pass coming true in our world 50 years from now...if we are still alive then, well imagine that nightmare. In that context, one can't help but speak out against it.

Quote:
I would say that I have, if being restricted and constrained by an annoyingly static bureaucracy counts. But I (and the people of at lease one place I've lived) have also been frustrated by the structures and beliefs that have shaped the so-called exceptionalism, privileges and overriding opinion of a certain Western government, just to give one broad example.

Does it alter the basic issue in each case? Probably not. But it should alter the way that one tries to address the basic issue. It's a question of 'how to seek change' rather than 'should it be changed or not'.
Like I said...I have never lived in the West so I wouldn't be qualified to give a view on that...

In any case, true, solutions differ with scenarios, quite obviously. But what if it's like Psycho Pass world? The whole population (virtually anyway) is in thrall to the system. What would you do? Me, I'd say let em rot, if I were an outsider. But applied to our world? Can I still say that if it has degenerated to that point? In the end, the scope of this problem is like a doctor performing desperate antibiotic therapy and surgery to stave off necrotizing fasciitis. In such cases, it's hard to slowly plan. Especially when the system is actively hunting you down.