View Single Post
Old 2013-02-23, 01:32   Link #12
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
I still can't understand why can't anyone sacrifice themselves to kill the Akki and die.
Considering how long it's taken characters within the story to realize seemingly obvious things, I suspect it will eventually occur to them, and doesn't require convoluted explanations.

Anyways, enjoying this quite a lot (loved the shot where the rat and Maria's child were a splitting image of a human and their well trained dog). At this point, my only points of suspense left are:

1) From the New World. What is that new world going to be shaped as? A queerat hegenomy? I think it unlikely a story that convinced a publisher to publish is going to end that way (though I wouldn't mind). That said, I have a hard time seeing how this resolves in the seemingly most likely conclusion of some sort of balance struck between the rats and humans. Then again, this is just a corner of Japan. It's possible, I suppose (especially considering what episode we are on), we don't ever see this actually resolve, but it ends with our heroine firmly going in whatever direction she finally decides to lead these remnants of her village that she's now in charge of, as the rats firmly go in their direction (with suitably epic mood music of course).

2) Actual fate of Maria (and pointless boy who's name I literally forget and have to look up so much that I refuse to do it again ). At this point, it's very ancillary to the story and where it's going, and it's more out of morbid curiosity as to what potentially gruesome and miserable fates they may have encountered.

We all knew our dignified white-maned rat was going to re-appear, though I'm obviously torn over his character, due to the clash between his dignified bearing with him essentially being a slave. I suppose, much like some African American slaves who didn't rebel against their masters in the Civil War in America, things aren't quite as simple as black and white, but I'm not even fond of people who train their dogs in obedience, so....yea.

Drawing a blank on what the point of an infant rat is going to have next episode. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Are the blue eyes supposed to signify something?

That last shot in the preview of somewhere that seems quite far removed from this corner of Japan...is that insinuating Maria/Momosomething are actually still alive? At this point I'm still thinking they're dead though.

Of course, while I can't help but feel that the ending will have some uplifting elements, I would be delighted to see the show dropping its curtains on a massive underground rat society as the camera pans on breeding pens where near-feral humans (the oldest of who look to be in their teens) are kept as stock, with individuals being dragged out for birthing/feeding/labor lines and we see a glazed eyed 40+ year old Saki doing her best Princess Leia role to Squealer's Jabba the Hut, as she's rudely interrupted from the thoughts she's shared with us, the viewers, these past 20+ weeks, and brought back to the harsh reality of her present, with one last shot of the back of her scarred head where they lobotomized her to take away her cantus (assuming that's even possible). End scene.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-02-23 at 01:47.