View Single Post
Old 2013-07-30, 14:22   Link #32593
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

How would you interpret "殺さ?" That is, is there a particular agency associated with this verb?

Mostly what I'm wondering is, can it apply to suicide. That is, could it be said that a person "was killed [by themselves]," or does it by nature of its usage constitute homicide by another actor?

The only reason I bring this up is that Krauss is the only person spoken of in ep5 as affirmatively killed, as in something caused him to directly die. Every mention of "murder" is in the negative (soandso did not/could not commit murder), and every other mention of corpses or death status is clinical (i.e. doesn't explain how or why someone is dead) and temporally-unanchored. Krauss is the only person reported to have had his life or death status actually altered at a particular specified time.

EDIT: It's kind of annoying how little distinction Japanese seem to have culturally between killing, homicide, and murder. And it reflects poorly in the translation to use words that mean very different things to an English-reading audience than the original Japanese-reading audience (i.e. the use of two different words could just be for stylistic variety while completely changing the meaning if transliterated).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote