View Single Post
Old 2006-03-16, 10:03   Link #6
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Question Comiket...is it worth it?

I took a trip to Japan in January, and I loved it.

One of the highlights of my trip was visiting Akihabara in Tokyo, where I found some really cheap merchandise in Mandarake, and bought doujin from Toro no Ana. It was great to be able to pick up merchandise for the anime that were currently being aired, like Rozen Maiden Traumend, Mai Otome, Canvas 2 and Kashimashi.

However, I found that I couldn't find ENOUGH merchandise for the series that were currently airing and that I enjoyed. Toro no Ana mostly had Fate/Stay Night, Maria...miteru, School Rumble and To Heart 2 doujin, and places like Animate and Gamers had ok merchandise, but they were kind of pricey.

Would Comiket be the best opportunity for me to pick up cheap doujin and merchandise, and many cool freebies? I also want to experience more of the anime/manga aspect of Japan, so would Comiket fulfill that? Comiket looks very exciting, and there it seems that I won't have difficulty picking up doujin for my favourite anime characters and cthe most recent anime series.

Note that I didn't go to Japan expecting it to be an anime wonderland....(well, Akihabara was, kinda), and I still enjoyed it. I am just wondering if I am missing out on the anime side of things if I don't go to Comiket.

The problem is, the summer comiket takes place in Summer. Which apparently means:

1. Peak season, so the plane ticket will be much more expensive, like 200 pounds more.

2. Tokyo is very sticky and hot during this time

Despite this, is it worth it just for Comiket (note that I only want to go to Japan for a very short time this time)?

Please share your Comiket experiences.

Thanks for your help!
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote