View Single Post
Old 2014-03-14, 06:59   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This was truly the perfect setup episode.

Just a great blend of fun and flashy action scenes, lighthearted comedy, intense drama, and quick but sufficient plot/character development.

And Solace is right about one of the key strengths of the show - It does an excellent job in keeping the full supporting cast relevant and appealing. Bringing back Mako's Fight Club President uniform was particularly awesome here - Without it, Mako really would fall into the background for the remaining two episodes. With it, we get a nice twist to end the episode on, one a bit surprising because it's been so long since we've seen the Fight Club President uniform.

And yes, all of the Ryuko/Satsuki scenes were handled perfectly. The anime actually had a tough job here, in my view - They had to have the two sisters quickly but believably get over any residual hard feelings (mainly on Ryuko's side, as she was kept in the dark for a very long time as part of Satsuki's plan) while also not completely ignoring the family revelations that both of them now know. And they had to do this in just a lone episode. Without very deft handling, it could have come off as either too cold/sterile or too sappy/OoC or just plain whiplash-y.

But I think they got it just right - Just the right amount of residual hard feelings, and just the right amount of sisterly affection, and with both seeming very in-character. Ryuko wanting to call Satsuki "sister" but struggling/blushing while doing so was in-character for Ryuko, the girl who wants family and wears her heart on her sleeve. But Satsuki's smooth handling of it is also in-character for her, as she's always maintained a firm control of her emotions, keeping with the fact that her whole plan against Ragyo required her to be that way for a long time.

So, yeah, fantastic episode.

One thing I have to admit I'm not quite seeing, though, are Satsuki death flags. I'm curious as to what particular piece of dialogue or scene gives people the "death flag" vibe?

Still, now that this episode thread has made me think of it, Satsuki's death would be the most impacting one possible. If Kill La Kill wants a powerful bittersweet ending, this may be the best way to get it.

This isn't what I want as a viewer, mind you - I'd rather see the overwhelming majority of this cast survive, including Satsuki. But looking at it from the writer perspective, I can see the appeal of having Satsuki die a hero in a climatic fight.