View Single Post
Old 2015-07-22, 04:00   Link #5
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireframeGames View Post
Haha, yeah I know these guys. I have X ideas and other people have to turn it into a game. Well, if I think about it, I am doing this with my patreon in some way, haha xD.

Here is the original video of ME!ME!ME!: https://vimeo.com/114099080
(Can't find it on youtube anymore )

Scientific programming... Well, then you are smarter than me in math . Funny thing is that I didn't like mathematics at all. It is just so ironic that game development involves a lot of numbers and mathematics .

Right now I am proficient in any game development area, so I can work alone. To learn all that stuff was so difficult and I won't advice people to go my way, because is is a massive time waster and you need to have a lot of stamina.

I programmed things in several languages (python, unityscript, C#), but right now I am using the blueprint scripting system from the Unreal 4 engine. It is a lot of fun and you don't need to touch one line of code. People assume that blueprint scripting is easy (it is like a brick system with nodes, which contains code bits), but it isn't. You still need to have a good programming habit and make things run efficiently. It is more like visual programming.

One assumption that I see a lot is that blueprint scripting is inferior to C++ (which can be used to make Unreal 4 games too), but these are basicly just containers for native code based on C++. So it runs as fast as C++ code, because it IS C++ code . You know probably best that programming habits and efficient programming is the key to success, not the way, how you do it^^.
Well, graphical programming systems have a bad name mostly because when they get compiled their speed depends heavily on the efficiency of the underlying compiler. In other words, you are putting yourself in the hands of someone else's work. If they did a really good job, the compiler could be as well optimized as the C++ one (especially if there's a good block->code correspondence) but that's hardly ever the case. In addition, graphic code blocks bring with themselves data structures that may not be required for your purposes and that causes overhead. But truth is, optimization techniques have improved, Unreal Engine is a very mature piece of software, and most importantly modern computers have computing power to spare, so yeah - in the end it doesn't really matter much any more.

I wrote scientific software in Fortran, but just yesterday I finished a Python script that does the same thing as a Fortran program I wrote earlier, using Numpy (C++ bindings for numerical operations) and carefully optimizing the code and lo, behold, it almost runs faster. And some time ago I made a benchmark and found I could get friggin' Javascript to run only twice as slow as the C++ equivalent. I actually managed to write a quantum mechanics simulation software in Javascript, just for kicks. It works. Optimization can be a scary thing, and right now, even for interpreted languages, the underlying interpreters are often so good at Just In Time compilation and similar tricks they lift a lot of burden off the shoulders of the programmer. I've never had a case of a game slowing down for too much complexity (but then again, efficient programming practices are so ingrained into me by now I probably already write pretty optimized code without even thinking about it ).

By the way, seeing that video made me wonder - what is your ME!ME!ME! game like exactly? An endless runner with a psychedelic twist?

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote