View Single Post
Old 2006-08-08, 01:50   Link #6
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
10 years ago Shinseiki Evangelion was a great self-therapeutic project for Anno that helped him crawl out of depression, which is the reason why he personally never returned to it anymore.

For Gainax, though, it's just a cash-cow to milk. Evangelion is Gainax's only profitable project ever, so intellectually I can understand why they would continue beating it, but it's nothing I'm looking forward to. Even if it's something like a "Kotetsu no Girlfriend" movie (which would be fun).
Sometimes, revisiting old places can be cathartic. No opposition on my side regarding any deep psychological intent that Anno might have if this project were true.

Anyways, I am suprised to hear that EVA is the only Gainax work to make money.. There's Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (1990) which I think definitely should have sustained some volume of sales. It was pretty good. And then there's FLCL (2000), which is a cult hit. And recently there's also Negima. So perhaps you have the wrong information? A studio with its only success being an anime made 10 years ago would have crumbled by now, I'm guessing.

This is also interesting because I think Anno wanted to depart from anime to making live-action movies (hence Cutie Honey) and so this return should be, at least, interesting.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote