View Single Post
Old 2021-02-07, 21:42   Link #458
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I never said I like or dislike it, just that it's not something to make that big of a deal about, and just about never made a big deal in any Japanese fiction I've seen. I've seen a total of one case where a girl gave up on love on account of finding out she was a guy's cousin, and that's it. And this includes far more than your standard otaku wish fulfillment "trash", it doesn't matter how niche or mainstream it is or what the demographic is, it's not treated as a big deal. And that's first cousins, distant relatives like Rudy and Eris aren't an issue period; there's seriously no point in having an issue that you can find a common ancestor many steps back (they're not even second cousins, the father said he and Paul were "something approaching cousins"). And yes, I went to marriage, because looking at laws and opinions on marriage can give a fair image of the opinion on romance in general.
Sure, there are solid stories out there that involve cousin romance or even incest. But my criticism in my previous post is more directed to otaku-centric media in general where characters like "pretty cousin" or "playful little sister" or "doting big sister" (or even "sexy mother" in some cases) are most often written into the story as love interests to "complete the harem collection" as fap materials rather than to improve the story.

Of course, I'm not judging MT for that yet. Just expecting the worst but hoping for the best.