View Single Post
Old 2006-09-25, 00:45   Link #86
PILMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
@ PILMAN

An EDTV does a maximum of 480p or 576p, so on that kind of TV you wouldn't really benefit from a blu-ray version as opposed to a DVD version. Since the DVD already does 480i, you'd be getting much the same quality actually displayed. That said, if the blu-ray version does fix some of the problems the DVD version has, the picture quality would benefit as well - you just wouldn't get the full 'HD' experience. Seeing as a SD master is being used anyway, well...

That said though, do you prefer to watch tv/etc on your television, or on your computer? The picture will probably look a bit better on the computer, but then you've got to factor in the 'home entertainment' parts as well. Lounging on the couch in front of a 42" TV (or whatever) is often better then sitting in a chair in front of a 20" monitor. Oh, and do keep in mind that if you are planning on buying blu-ray titles in future, getting the blu-ray player for the TV would probably be a better option - especially if you might look at a TV upgrade in the not-too-distant future.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you have a 24" widescreen LCD, and your computer is hooked up to a nice set of speakers with a comfy chair... get the blu-ray player. BUT, make sure you get one that has blu-ray playback software - I'm not sure it's available yet

-Andiyar
Hmm how much do 24" computer lcd's cost. I'm wondering if it'd even fit on my desk. I'm using a 19" at the moment. No plans to replace the Plasma display, only got it 3 years ago.