View Single Post
Old 2007-06-08, 14:48   Link #192
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd love it if she'd fight... but that's more of an American trait to buck or go around your superiors. I'd read between the lines that she may hope that her publishers seek someone else to license it but she really can't suggest that in public. So far her publishers have been completely silent on the matter.

Her publishers are the ones who will take whatever course there is to be taken (its not her place to decide what her publishers do).

The japanese manga industry is only in the last few years reflecting on the idea that there's a market outside the US for such 'japanese' material. They can't quite wrap their heads around the notion or are simply comfortable with their known market. This idea that America is interested in their pop culture is just... well... I've been asked by japanese more than a few times: "but WHY do you want to learn Japanese? WHY are you interested in Shinto or Buddhism? WHY do you like j-music/anime/manga?" Its a very interesting attitude and probably worth a few psychological theses.

I speculate her publishers may be discussing the ramifications of the license situation internally and whether they want to try again with another American publisher (they may think SSE's actions somehow reflect badly on them and don't want to risk more loss of face) Also... if I understand how things tend to work at the moment, japanese publishers don't usually seek out American publishers. Its more the case that interested American publishers seek them out.

So... if no American publisher comes forth and says, "hell, we'll do it" ... its dead here (and "the children have been saved" (not)).

It pretty much sucks in most respects. Irrationality won this round.