View Single Post
Old 2010-07-05, 16:23   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
K-ON!! must've been that other "big title" Bandai is betting the farm on(*). This one, and Haruhi 2009. Good news for K-ON!! fans willing to fork over American cash for Bandai discs, certainly. Is it going to save Bandai's bacon, though? I mean, what is K-ON!!'s demographic in the US? In Japan, we know who K-ON!!'s demographic is . . . single males with too much disposable income. Only problem with this is that K-ON!! is pretty far down the list of things I think of, when I think of things likely to appeal to young males with too much disposable income in the States.
According to polls in Japan, K-On! has been "unexpectedly" popular with female viewers as well. Also, in the U.S. (at least anecdotally), I've found as many female fans as male. The series doesn't treat females poorly (like say, the "usual harem anime" comedy) and shows them in a commendable light with good academic habits, career plans, etc. I'd certainly recommend it as good entertainment for girls as well as guys. I suspect it will do well if marketed properly.

The only demographic I could see K-On! failing in is the "young male teen too insecure to watch anything but violent gar stuff" category