View Single Post
Old 2011-08-25, 04:59   Link #997
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Cheers Desbreko, so presuming I'm understanding correctly both:

--preset slower --tune animation --level 4.1 --crf 16.5 --fps 24000/1001 --aq-strength 1.0 --psy-rd 0.8:0.1

--preset slower--level 4.1 --crf 16.5 --fps 24000/1001 --bframes 5 --psy-rd 0.8:0.1

Should basically produce identical output; thanks a lot for the tips on the AQ/Psy-rd, as I'd probably have ended up just dropping the CRF to 15 or something, which like you say probably wouldn't have been the most efficient option.
I'll do some reencodes based on the above, and hopefully that'll clear up the blockiness in darkness; I don't mind the extra bitrate at all

@Pantsu, I'm no expert so couldn't give you much feedback, however I noticed you opted for QP when I took a peek at the XML (as I don't use Avidemux)
How much difference QP makes over CRF I don't know,but the reason I opted for CRF is I'm constantly seeing it recommended all over the place as achieving better file sizes at equivalent picture quality.
Example (3rd post):
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-107687.html

Typically, for small but decent picture quality encodes I've repeatedly seen the CRF 19-24 range recommended, for higher quality, more-or-less lossless I have seen 16-18 being the recommended region.

I based my choice of 16.5 on both the fact I wanted to be in the 'no obvious quality loss' space [16-18], and also by averaging out and comparing some releases from fansub groups who's releases I've enjoyed and not had any picture foibles with (which typically ranged between 16.5-19 with occasional flex on either side). As I've discovered myself though, some of the other tags you use/don't use during the encode can also make a difference to the picture quality
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2011-08-25 at 05:53.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote