View Single Post
Old 2004-12-06, 03:46   Link #279
Ningyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varisha
It's french, so the H is silent and I the penultimate e is accented, so it's pronounced like 'ay DAY'. I think
Ah, thanks...

I really like a lot of the women's names...Haydee, Eugenie, Valentine, Heloise...

Moving on...

Valentine's in love with Franz? That makes things kind of...I don't think "juicy" is the word I'm looking for here...anyone care to help?

I wonder if Eugenie feels anything for Albert or...not.
Spoiler:

Also, I was just thinking...the way things are going, there's probably going to be a flashback to the Count's past at some point. With the book you have "begin at the beginning" but the anime's "begin in the middle, recount the beginning later" gives us a new way to experience the story. I never thought about it before, but I guess I like that way of telling a story. You know how series will have a starting point that gets the story going, then later the "real beginning" of things that actually started everything comes as a revelation. I think a lot of anime/manga series do this. Maybe it's the way the format pulls you into the story? Like with Gankutsuou- they picked a great place to begin. I would say they decided to tell the story from Albert's POV then picked the obvious starting point, but it's possible they chose the starting point first- a good introduction to the central character, the Count of Monte Cristo- and from there decided that Albert would be the natural protagonist according to that decision. Just thinking that the reasons behind storytelling decisions can be pretty interesting.