Thread: Licensed Robotics;Notes
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-06, 15:41   Link #692
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
Hidden Hand

The more I see the more I belive that these reports are just a story and nothing more.

BUT that would be toooooo boring
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is wondering how much is real in the conspiracy and how much is delusions.

I think the series could be a very interesting one if it take the dramatic form of a giant robot / conspiracy story (Evangelion anyone?) but actually plays it out with nothing more than normal school kids in a realistic world and one delusional adult. There could still be a very dramatic story, without any (outrageous) science fiction.

I think actually the series is starting to hint this pretty hard.

When I look at the opening I'm struck by how the music and the cinematography follow the mold of a giant robot action show. Dramatic images of the pilot getting ready and the robot being revealed, but then instead of launching into a space battle it's out hero commuting to school on a scooter. Quick exciting shots of our ensemble cast doing the things that define them as characters in their regular crisis-of-the-week dramatic routine, but instead of fighting hordes of drones or coming up with clever plans they're wandering through school and putting up with Akiho's ridiculous schemes. Twice the opening trolls us with an action scene of a robot - the first time the robot is revealed to be a small remote controlled toy, the second time it's a clip from an anime that Akiho's playing. The opening even ends on the kind of 'step up to action" shot of the team getting ready with the GunPro1, and that shot it self starts to feel typically awesome and exciting, then undermines itself with the ridiculous (no doubt intentional) design of the GunPro1.

The Nae reveal scene reinforces this for me, along with the ridiculous nature of the flags for the reports. Whenever Robotic's notes quotes or parodies a show, the story quickly calls them on it or undermines it - Gendo pose, the fact that JAXA support (scientist recruiting his child to build giant robot) was really just a father's awkward attempt to support. In Stien's gate there was no doubt that real time travel was happening and that there was a conspiracy. Here I'm not sure.

I think the twist is going to be that there is no twist (or at least no fate of the real Earth in the balance) - just the fate of these young men and women growing up. Their hopes, dreams, and how they deal with the forces beyond their control like a mysterious illness.

I don't know any spoilers, but knowing that the VN was 'disappointing' to many fans would not surprise me if they did indeed subvert their fans expectations in such a way.