View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 01:21   Link #67
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Now we have Facebook, Twitter and all that jazz and it seems like the web is just an extension to real life, so the difference is more blurry, but still I never expect to be taken too seriously when I post, and I don't take many posts seriously either.
The issue of taking discussions on internet forums seriously is a whole other question altogether. The one thing I have to say about not taking even your own posts seriously is that in that case, you can't expect anybody else to actually care about what you're saying, either. If that's not what you wanted in the first place, then perfect, but you should probably recognize that not everyone will want to take that position.

Quote:
And for your other point, anyone with half a neuron should realize that there is no real "truth" for anything (much less for entertainment), and so I don't really look at how someone words their posts at the time of replying. Whether they said "X is shit because of Y", or "I didn't really like X, due to Y", makes no difference the same for argumentative purposes.
This is a different fallacy, perhaps a philosophical one, claiming that there is no such thing as "truth" in the universe. My own take on such claims is that they are so impossibly general (paradoxical, even) that it is impossible for anyone to truly believe in them, so forgive me for not taking your claim seriously. There are such things as truth (i.e., things everybody will acknowledge) in the world; however, it is precisely because such things are so rare and difficult to find that people should choose their words more carefully.

added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
You seem to be making the assumption, maybe unintentionally, that it is not possible to speak the truth and show respect which is completely false. Well the truth behind somethings maybe harsh and harder to bare, that doesn't mean it can't be presented in a respectable way. There seems to be another assumption that you can't seek the truth and account for human error at the same time, I feel like I maybe misunderstanding what you mean by "truth".
Actually, I didn't mean to imply that it was impossible in either case; what I wanted to say was that people should try harder to do those things. Specifically, in terms of "accounting for human weaknesses", I meant recognizing that what you believe is true might not actually be true, and that even if you are right, people who don't want to hear what you're saying should still be afforded a level of respect as fellow humans.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2013-01-14 at 02:14.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote