View Single Post
Old 2013-05-07, 17:18   Link #961
Kyuu
=^^=

Alright a new topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I find the political "re-framing" of words to be downright disingenuous, as they all try to pretend the other side doesn't exist. It's about safety AND rights AND control. Trying to say it's all about "gun safety" and not about "gun control" is about as full of **** as when the conservative camp try to say it's about "protecting marriage" instead of discrimination.
The Power of Language.

It's a matter of choosing language for maximum effect. I notice Relentlessflame's call to halt discussion as "gun control".

With the word "control", what does that associate with? Loss of power. Seizing to that of a greater (but human controlled) power. I can easily understand the fear associated with that, because like hell would I want to give up certain freedoms to control too.

Most notably, anything pertaining to the Internet, like the SOPA, PIPA, and other similar bills seeping into Congress.

When I was hearing Obama calling Social Security and Medicare as "entitlement programs"... that's when an alarm should kick in. When "one side or the other" begin to adopt each other's language, that's when y'know views are being extended.

And I'll have to give credit to the Republicans, when it comes to language use. Their constant use of the "Two Word Sound-byte" had long been effective, such that their vocabulary dominates discussion.

So yea, there's a much bigger issue here. It's a matter of steering America towards a "safe society" rather than that of "destruction". With this, I'm looking at the likes of Wall Street, who'd still profit from something like that.