View Single Post
Old 2008-12-30, 19:12   Link #38
iLney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The problem isn't them saying something I don't want to hear. I can, indeed, just ignore them. The problem is them saying something my neighbors like a little too much.

The issue of Freedom of Speech is not reduced to the unpleasantness of hearing contrary opinions. Ideas move men. That's what make speech such a powerful tool, and thus a dangerous one.
I don't see how that is a problem.

Case 1: If you happen to live in a neighbor where the others are as dumb as apes, you should move elsewhere. With such condition, even if nothing provokes them, sh** will happen.

Case 2: you happen to live in a place where everyone else thinks differently than you do. You should either move somewhere else or adapt.

Case 3: you live in a place where the government and the economy are messed up. In other words, the people must live in rubbish which in turn emits CH4, and a single spark could cause the whole thing to explode. This is inevitable. Again, you would better move elsewhere or join the revolution.

Case 4: you live in a place where the economy is next to non-existence but the government puts everything under its iron heels effectively. Now this is paradise! No one has the right to say anything....

Case 5: you live a place where the economy is at its apex. Jobs are plentiful, incomes are desirable by other nations, the overall quality of life is high and your government doesn't mess up with others. In this condition, I don't think there would be enough carebears to pose a threat to the society.

The bottom line is if a random speech can seriously cause trouble for a community, then that community has tons of other problems and it can be safely inferred that the mentioned speech is just a direct consequence.

Last edited by iLney; 2008-12-30 at 21:20.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote