Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-08, 03:32   Link #2640
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
Achiga is getting very ridiculous now >.>.

For the supposedly glorious Senriyama captain - the highest individual point scorer in all of Kansei, who was hyped in-universe to be a bastion of awesome in her own right - instead of either showing us what she can do as a strong non-ability player like Mairu/Yumi or giving her an ability of her own merit, she's borrowing power from Toki as a last-minute shoe-horn. And seriously, storing powers from her thighs - it's like Ritz somehow managed to find 4chan and steer the Achiga manga towards their whole joke of lesbian powers or something (does 2ch make similar kinds of jokes?).

And I'm somehow dreading what Shizu can do now. The entire Achiga team has been shown just a day or two in the past losing badly to the 'good' players in Nagano - even if it's an anime exclusive, I do feel that Ritz had at least some part in influencing this direction. They could not beat Ryuubonmochi, and Shizu, specifically, was sunk very easily by a de-powered Koromo. In my opinion, Ako vs. Sera was what Achiga's level should have been like. Arata vs. her opponents were understandable given that FunaQ was one of the weaker members on Senriyama's team, that everyone was targeting Seiko to some extent, and that Mairu - the genuinely stronger player - did ran away with the per-game point totals. I would almost cry if Shizu suddenly pulls off monster abilities or ridiculous data mahjong out of nowhere, both of which are not only inconsistent with her characterization so far, but would be very difficult to pull off without looking like a deus ex.

But yeah, Ryuuka. Her love with Toki is fine and all, but this is, complete ***-pull aside, just Toki winning those hands, not herself. It's like the author is saying "sorry, we ran out of ideas on Ryuuka, so here, have a second Toki! I can't go wrong by just rehashing a popular character!"

Sorry for the rant, but given how much I've been praising the Saki and Achiga manga for their portrayals of the players, this...
Heh, I think they just purposefully didn't show any of Achiga member ability before the semi final. We never saw how Shizu match went with any of the characters in this manga (only a few round but not a full match) so her showing an ability isn't that much of an asspull since we never really got any information regarding her. She did lose to Koromo but we don't know what happened to them after Shizu wanted a rematch so there's that too. Not to mention that she might get powered up after all that training She might not have any godlike/demon ability but at the very least she's confirmed to have some sort of ability/traits that made Koromo aware of her (even going to the extend warning Saki about her).

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about Ryuuka. She might just haven't shown all her cards yet.. or maybe she's just an ace at getting points like Shindouji VC.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote