View Single Post
Old 2008-12-16, 19:09   Link #47
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
OK, just talked to the Geek Squad dude and he said that the HD is damaged…I was able to just reinstall windows on my cpu, but now he’s telling me my Mom’s cpu can’t even be wiped clean with windows reinstall (God help me)…So now he’s like I have to buy a new HD and they can put the OS on that and install it or I can send it to the data recovery factory they deal with and have them access and ultimately fix it…That $hit is gonna cost me an additional 200$ bucks and that’s not including the money for an additional HD I might have to buy so that they can recover the data on the other one…

Jesus Christ, please tell me what questions to ask this dude so I don’t get totally hosed here? I just don’t believe this dude tried everything he could to fix the cpu…I already paid like 300$ bucks (I get 99 back if they can’t fix it) and now he’s telling me that it was probably $hit luck with a short-circuited USB that did this (I don’t wanna argue this point again I just want to know what to do)…Would it be cheaper to find my own cpu repair shop and have them look at it? I just don’t know what the hell to do since I’ve just paid 200$ for basically nothing but to be told it’s worse…I mean worst case scenario was that they’d just have to reinstall windows and she’d lose her stuff, but now it’s like I have to buy a new HD and get that installed, and still pay for data recovery…Sardonic lecturers need not apply, I’m looking for someone who can give me some good advice here moving forward
Are you dead sure you can't find a tech-savvy friend to do this instead? A friend will probably charge you far less than those bleeders at Best Buy, and he will do better. I have a friend who worked at Circuit City as a clerk and he sometimes figured out how to fix problems before the actual Firedog servicemen. And he's not even paid nearly their rate. All they do is format and reinstall a bunch of crap. D:

Ask your mother whether the data on the hard drive is seriously important. If she (or you, for that matter) can cobble and retype the files back together using whatever backups or past email attachments then you may be better off just expending the effort rather than a few more hundreds. You're not even guaranteed that the recovery effort will work anyway. If I were you, I'll just be really nice to your mother, explain what happened, and do the extra work for her if needs be.

If you decide to have the Geek $quad do it and they make you buy a new hard drive right there, say no. It's never worth it. I bet that data's not important enough to be in such a hurry.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136218

You were just terribly unlucky if it's a short circuit. Don't freak out too much, sit down, and talk with your mother about it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote