View Single Post
Old 2009-08-07, 17:12   Link #56
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filozof View Post
why would amati give her 3 feathers?

things are heating up nicely btw.
Weren't there feathers all over the place at Diane's? Maybe he picked up a couple because he thought it would look nice. He seems like he would, as a romantic gesture. But I can't remember if she had those feathers before. Would someone confirm this? I don't have my spice and wolf episodes on me right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Why? Because he rattled Lawrence? Isn't that Lawrence's fault for letting himself be rattled by little things? Heck, a good part of it is due to Horo being there at Amati's side. Do you mean to say that Horo's an ass? Do you want to die that much?
This isn't slave trading. From what Amati knows, money's pretty much the only thing that can set Horo free to marry him, so that's what he uses. What else would you have of him?
Geez, what's with the tone?

Well, if it helps, I guess I should have been more clear. I'm saying that I know Amarti hasn't technically done anything wrong, just that his actions do not exactly invite admiration. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, to paraphrase someone else. Amarti is rubbing Lawrence's face in it, for the sheer wantonness of it. Even Lawrence only egged him on to get him to take the deal, and left him alone after that. Yes, Lawrence shouldn't be letting himself be rattled, but Amarti isn't behaving at all like the knight he imagines himself to be.

Think back to Horo and Lawrence's conversation about the difference between childish and manly actions. How is Amarti acting? He's blowing large sums of cash (given low liquidity, the sums involved, and the time period, 10% exchange fee is conservative) just so he can feel cool talking to Lawrence. There's a meaningful difference between what he and Lawrence did. Lawrence behaved like a douche in order to bait Amarti into accepting a deal. Amarti is doing it...to look cool. And losing money doing it. If it were just about rattling lawrence and making him lose his cool, then just bringing Horo was enough.

As for the slave-trading thing, I was just throwing that out there. But surely you can see how Amarti gallantly offering to pay her debts, trying to look awesome wasting money exchanging coins and flaunting his wealth is in a metaphorical sense trying to win Horo over with money. But like I said, it was just a random thought and not all that meaningful.