View Single Post
Old 2009-09-02, 02:35   Link #194
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Well as I think was mentioned before, there would be differences. For one thing, the nature of the contract with the devil vs. the paw. The paw makes the wish come true, only in a twisted way. The devil is simply bound by contract to fulfill the wish if it can (that's important), and it's also significant that it only grants negative wishes.

...With the monkey's paw, it's like, "I just wanted a million dollars, I didn't want gang members to rob twenty banks to get it."

With the rainy devil, it's like, "I thought I just wanted to win the game, but I guess deep down I also wanted to get back at my rival in a really nasty way."

Subtle difference, but I think that's what's important.
I'm not disputing the differences between the monkey's paw and the rainy devil. I'm merely curious why a rainy devil would appear in the form of a monkey's paw, and how Kanbaru managed to encounter this particular oddity.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to be misunderstanding my question. Perhaps I'm not phrasing it clearly enough?

Just as Senjougahara's encounter with the crab was a unforseen result of her wish to shut down emotionally (weight and memories being a pun on emotions), and just as Hachikuji was a "lost cow" (a wordplay on "snail") stuck in a neverending pilgrimage (a wordplay on "hachikuji"), what is Kanbaru's link to the rainy devil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Kanbaru's had what she thought was a Monkey's Paw, but was actually a Rainey Devil in the form of a Monkey Paw. When she made a contract with the Devil, it grew into a Monkey Arm after taking some of her soul. Later Kanbaru couldn't find it becaue the Devil was still fused to her body, still trying to fullfil her new contract. Now the contract is canceled, but she still has a monkey arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nyb0y View Post
If you've seen gg subs, it's pretty clear that Kanbaru kind of knew from the very start that what she has is not Monkey's Paw. It's just that she was in denial about her true feelings and tried to find explanations that it wasn't really her desire to beat them up -- and Monkey's Paw story gave her the perfect excuse for that.
Well, for the lack of better interpretations, I can go along with either one of the above explanations.

Oh, incidentally, there is another way to interpret Senjoughara's "fire above, water below" remark. You see, I don't think it was a half-serious threat, as ickem suggests. Given that Senjougahara is still quite fond of Kanbaru, it seems unlikely that she'd directly harm Kanbaru unless she was forced to do so.

I don't think that line had particular meaning but, thematically, it reinforces the duality shared between Senjougahara and Kanbaru, the Valhalla Combi. Senjougahara was frequently associated with fire throughout Ep6 and, for some reason, Kanbaru, being her senpai's opposite, is associated with rain and water.

Together, they complete each other, even while they are fundamentally opposed to each other (water kills fire and vice versa).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote