View Single Post
Old 2012-11-13, 21:27   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi View Post
Do you guys do anything different when re-watching an anime?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi View Post
I'm asking how to re-watch it because I want to know the best way to get the most enjoyment out of it. For example: should I watch the anime with a limit per day or per week? Should I rush through it?

I basically want to savor every moment of the anime since it's been around a year and a half since I last watched it so I'm a little fuzzy on the small details.
I actually find your questions somewhat bizarre. Unless you're a student tasked to critique a particular show, you shouldn't need to set specific goals when re-watching an anime series or movie. Watch it as many times as you like, as long as it pleases you.

If you really do need a reason, your last point, which I bolded above, should be key. If you're attentive, you'll spot the little details you missed the first time round. What those little details are will depend entirely on you. Our viewing experiences are subjective, after all, so the things I watch out for won't necessarily be the things that interest you.

For my part, the shows that hold my attention tend to be densely plotted, meticulously designed projects, like Kaiba, Aoi Bungaku, Sky Crawlers, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Kino no Tabi, Mushishi, and my favourite series, Haibane Renmei. These shows often have multiple layers of meaning, both in terms of writing and art, that make it rewarding to watch them many times. Take Sky Crawlers for example; the movie is designed to make a viewer think about the impact of reviewing sequences of events over and over again.

It will take several threads to discuss the revelations I enjoyed from reviewing these movies and series. I would say that most anime projects are meant simply to entertain and usually do not contain sufficient critical depth to reward multiple viewing. That, however, is a subjective opinion. Simply put, if you even have to ask why or how you should re-watch a show, perhaps it's better to simply give it a rest and return to it again some time in the future. You'll be surprised how much difference an older, more mature perspective would make when it comes to catching details you once missed.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote