View Single Post
Old 2008-04-24, 21:37   Link #282
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
:P geeze...I really don't know where you're getting all of this. Lelouch has been shown to be quite self-sacrificing, this much is true. However, there has been no indication, and furthermore I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody else who agreed with you, that all of Lelouch's actions are done 'for the sake of others'. You guys are claiming that Lelouch is the ultimate altruist here, which is just ridiculous if you look at his actions and motivations with any perspective. Isn't what's attractive about Lelouch his 'human' qualities? Aren't you glad that he's not a 'Jesus Yamato'? Why are you putting him up on a pedestal now?

I don't know, there's so many problems with the plausibility in your arguments there that I don't really feel like going through all of them. I'll just point out that your talk about Lelouch 'extracting' himself from Nunally's life was just a temporary measure. His plan to have Suzaku keep Nunally company while he was off doing stuff with the Black Knights was just to lessen her pain while he was gone, not a permanent solution. As such, he was most certainly not planning to 'watch over her from afar' during that time, so that's not an example of Lelouch giving something up at all.

Bah.
What he does is very human actually, I can very much understand what he's doing for the sake of others if in a selfish way. He took on his own interpretation of how to go about helping others, to the point where he can be cold, calculating, and completely ruthless to anyone he doesn't care about which gives him many flaws as well. He's not an altruist by any stretch, he's too cynical and realistic to believe in such grandiose dreams, but at least for the sake of those he does care for he'll move heaven and earth for them. Personal motivation is something any of us can relate to. Quite a few people actually did come to agree with us, because this wasn't exactly the first time we tried dissecting Lelouch's character, by any stretch I think it is one of the more plausible interpretations. Especially since you seem to have given up trying to rebuff it now

Where in that entire dialog did he say it was a temporary measure again? I don't recall him saying anything other then eventually being no longer able to watch Nunnally one day and that to counter any possible threat like Mao from happening again when he did go he looked for a suitable knight to take his place. So since you can't exactly provide a viable counter with actual support to your statement that contradicts my assessment I think the example still stands. Of couse, I suppose putting a few weeks in running the USoJ was really going to ensure Nunnally's blissful world, eh...? Be a little more reasonable would you, Lelouch took on a job that you just cannot do half-assed and would have required the rest of his life in order to make it work and last for Nunnally to enjoy. Now if you're done with your side of this little banter I too will end this discussion of ours as well...>_>