View Single Post
Old 2011-07-29, 22:38   Link #364
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
The thing is, despite all the bitching and crying about WoW, most WoW players like WoW. However, they are getting tired of it so they are looking for essentially a better version of WoW to switch.
So true, I enjoyed WoW for pretty much 6 years straight but after all that I kinda want to see something different. Fantasy setting MMO's are so old hat these days.

More accurately though for myself, I'm looking forward to being able to play an MMO with my friends who quit WoW over the years. Particularly my RL friends. Something fresh and interesting even if it only in just setting should be enough to tide us over for a couple years.

Heh, although I've been guilty of calling most of the new MMO's these days WoW clones (heavy eye-rolling in the process). I've always thought it too be a bit short sighted, all MMOs have their ups and downs. You can apply the same logic to FPS games, actually I think it's worse there, particularly the military ones where it is almost glaringly apparent - it kinda frustrates me in their similarities.

I look for 3 things 1) are my friends playing, 2) smooth intuitive gameplay (ie like WoW, or Rift), 3) Interesting story and lore. I'd almost rate 3 above 2 if it weren't for the fact that you actually have to do stuff in MMO's.

Biggest problem I see though, and you saw it with WoW, were the RP sections - like the Colosseum, admittedly that place exacerbated this problem due to its design - After watching the NPC dialog the first time people want to skip it every time after. I know they said that you can skip or something, but people are impatient. After the first wave gets through and are onto alts new players are gona miss out on the games big selling point.