View Single Post
Old 2009-12-25, 21:36   Link #1308
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As I'm slowly learning (and hearing) over 2009, is how and where my race fits into the gaijin circle of things.
Learnt fairly fast that if you're not blonde haired and blue eyed, you're kinda glanced over for most part for English convo jobs, or stuck into limited set stereotypes in the entertainment industry which the Japanese feel comfy with.

Black men have a longer history going on in Japan than women that's for sure.
Those born in America are doing their thing in the entertainment industry as bigger stars, beyond the variety shows on TV.
Those directly from African countries are making a name for themselves too, esp in Roppongi. Minus the Western mentality, they actually can be a pain in the ass.
Somewhat alike the Chinese who establish businesses everywhere, they're mainly into opening more and more hostess bars or clubs and will try to solicit many foreign guys to come in or Asian/ Russian/Eastern European girls to work there.
As I found out recently, for girls to make some quick ass money without having sex, the hostess bars is the place to go.

However, one thing these men (or other middle eastern men too) typically have over white foreigners who go to typically teach English, is that they will learn the language and tend to pick up fairly fast, meaning they sneak their way into the society by being able to communicate and understand.
But Roppongi is a place where after 4 years of visiting this country in and out, I only went there first time last year and have been there about 5 times only.
Doubt I'm missing much at all, if there are articles about, do check out the term "Roppongi Bubble", it'll probably be fascinating in itself

But being white does put you at the top of the gaijin social status. Blacks perhaps have higher levels than Asians, methinks Asians get a tougher time or a totally different experience, hearing some of the things from my flatmate recently. (Taiwanese girl)
I just break stereotypes (by not being American for one) and confuse/confuzzle them, it's great.
Well, if you're ethnically Chinese or Korean, and you're in Tokyo or the rural prefectures on the Pacific side of Japan, you're at the bottom. Less so in Uranihon, facing China.

Blame the ultranationists/protectors of the Emperor for that. They also tend to beat up Koreans/Chinese in the name of the Emperor...