View Single Post
Old 2010-12-09, 14:59   Link #19619
Keriaku
Thought Being

I'm no kind of expert on mysteries, I would actually say that Umineko is the only thing even close to one I've read before.

But what's the problem with viewing the 2 days as a game. Literally, like engaging in a game of chess with someone, but more wide scale with everyone being involved and not necessarily aware of what's going on? Is this somehow a bad way for the situation to turn out? In the end, there never was any kind of intended crime, we as the readers only followed through with Battler's perspective who interpreted the situation this way, who multiple times comes to the conclusion they shouldn't have been worrying about a culprit or anything and trying to solve the epitaph anyways. If you reread the letters signed by Beatrice the Golden, this interpretation seems to fit perfectly.

To me personally, this seems like a fine premise, and it's all the more excellent that we've all been led along by Battler's personal conclusions through the whole series. I think this fits with Battler forgiving Beatrice when he realizes the truth, and that there doesn't need to be a culprit. If anything, the culprit is the emotional instability of the adults. The culprit is the emotions of greed, envy, and suspicion. For a complete story, I'm more than satisfied with this answer.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote